Just when you thought the country was turning against us, New York City steps up to the plate once again. The Commission on Human Rights for the city has now mandated that employers must use the proper pronouns and titles for a person and to maliciously fail to do so could result in a whopping six-figure fine. While most trans people know there is no longer a gender-binary of Male/Female the city takes it one step further by recognizing 31 gender identities and gender expressions.
We’ve all likely heard about the bathroom bills, but some other news that gets released occasionally is where a person is forced to dress against their gender identity/expression. A trans woman has been forced to wear male clothing and a trans man has been forced to wear women’s clothing. We see these articles pop up on occasion, but NYC has put a stop to that problem within its borders.
“It is now illegal to discriminate based on gender identity or expression..”
It is now illegal to discriminate based on gender identity or expression and, as a result, the NYC Commission on Human Rights has announced:
This means individuals have the right to:
- Work and live free from discrimination and harassment due to their gender identity/expression.
- Use the bathroom or locker room most consistent with their gender identity and/or expression without being required to show “proof” of gender.
- Be addressed with their preferred pronouns and name without being required to show “proof” of gender.
- Follow dress codes and grooming standards consistent with their gender identity/expression
It is clear in the specific wording that NYC is taking a firm stance against the bathroom bills that have been popping up in the lower states. While the City understands there will be the occasional slip-up or an initial error on first introductions it won’t come crashing down on businesses for these genuine errors. However, it will unleash massive fines on companies that willfully, knowingly, and/or maliciously mis-gender someone or attempts to prevent them from using the proper bathroom/locker room or dress in a manner associated with their gender.
The genders that are now officially recognized by NYC are:
- Femme Queen
- Gender Bender
- Trans Person
- Third Sex
- Gender Fluid
- Non-Binary Transgender
- Gender Blender
- Person of Transgender Experience